A group of year 6 children recently took part in a competition for East London schools called the Money Wise Challenge. They competed against teams from other schools by speed-answering questions on personal finance topics. St Francis' sent two teams; one team came second in the competition and the other team came third. Well done!
On Friday 11th November St Winefride’s had the honour of attending two Remembrance Day services. We took part in the annual service at Central Park, along with the other Newham Deanery schools and other schools from Newham and as usual all the children behaved impeccably. It was a beautiful service as usual and the attendance grows year on year. A huge thank you to Mr Allen for organising this poignant and solemn tribute.
To mark the beginning of the new school year, staff from our Newham Catholic Schools, as well as representatives of the school choirs, came together for a Mass of Thanksgiving. Msg John Armitage reminded us of the importance of our vocation to serve our communities. The mass was also an opportunity to say thank you and farewell to Gael Hicks; to wish her well on her retirement from the OLOG Trust.
The Year 6s from St Helen's and St Joachim's had a great week camping. Throughout the week they took part in a range of activities and both Science and Geography Lessons. The children did coastal walks and studies, built dens and learned survival skills, identified trees and various living things in various habitats. Most importantly the children made new friendships, developed their resilience and independence and camped!
St Helen's and St Joachim's started the year with a joint Pilgrimage to Bradwell on Sea. We visited St Peter's Chapel for a Liturgy and Prayer Service, and then spent the afternoon taking part in a range of reflection activities on the beach. The children had the opportunity to make new friendships, whilst also deepening their faith. They learnt about St Cedd, reflected on what life was like for early Pilgrims, used the Footprints in the Sand Prayer and rejoiced in the wonder of God's Creation.
The children have been very busy in the last two week's of term! Children from St Edward's, St Joachim's and St Winefride's attended the following events: On Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th July the children attended the prestigious Military Musical Spectacular at Horse Guards Parade in central London. They performed 'A song for the Commonwealth' in front of a very large crowd of spectators and Prince Michael of Kent. They even featured on the 'Big Screen' and were given a standing ovation by the London Choral Society who were also performing at the show.
On Thursday 14th July the children attended an event at the Guildhall in the City of London to celebrate the queen's Platinum Jubilee, which had guests including the Sheriff of London, Stephen Twigg MP and Lieutenant Colonel Simon Haw, who some of our older children may remember from working with the Coldstream Guards in the past. As always the children behaved impeccably and were a credit to themselves, their parents/carers and the school.
On a fine sunny Monday on the 4 th July all the Year 6 pupils from the 7 Catholic Primary Newham Schools attended a secondary transition day at Hargreaves Scout Camp. The overall theme of 'transition' incorporated 6 sub-themed activities namely, making friends, problem solving, reflection, resilience and perseverance, team building, developing social skills. The activities were led and supported by around forty Y10 St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s students together with the primary school staff. The activities provided were fun but focussed on the themes in order to help support the Year 6 chil dren in their transition to their secondary schools.
Four children from Y3/4 at St Joachim’s represented the borough of Newham and took part in the London Youth Games for Tennis this past week. They were up against all boroughs from around london. All the children that took part played extremely well making it all the way to the grand slam knockout stages. Unfortunately they were beat in the first round narrowly missing out on a medal.
On Friday 17th of June the St Joachim’s Mini Vinnies took part in a sleepover in the school to help them understand a little bit about homelssness and how much of an issue it is in today's society. They used this opportunity to raise money for Caritas Anchor House. They took part in a quiz which taught them some staggering facts about homelessness. Did you know that 300,000 people in the UK have nowhere to call home?
- 11th St Antony's Head Teacher, Angela Moore, Delivers Powerful Guest Lecture at Queen Mary University
- 25th Olog Mass 2023
- 18th St Joachim's & St Helen's Annual Year 6 Science Camp 2023
- 18th Pilgrimage to Bradwell-on-Sea
- 12th St Edward's The British Museum Commonwealth Choir
- 12th St Winefride's Newham Music Video
- 5th St Winefride's - The Coronation of King Charles III
- 24th Kalush Orchestra of Ukraine
- 17th St Winefride's- Celebrate St Patrick's Day
- 13th St Joachim's & St Helen's Year 5 Rome Pilgrimage 2023
- 18th Horse Guards Parade
- 18th The Guildhall in the City of London
- 15th Hargreaves Deanery Y6 Secondary Transition Day
- 29th London Youth Games
- 29th Mini Vinnies Sleepover
- 29th Cambridge Graduation
- 14th Royal Dress Up Day
- 13th Maths Market Week
- 8th No Smoking Day Poster Competition
- 3rd Tower of London
- 26th Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee Celebration Concert
- 11th The Great St Winefride’s Spelling Bee Challenge
- 7th Newham Money Wise Challenge
- 1st Welcome to St Winefride’s
- 31st London Stations of the Cross Walk
- 8th St Francis'- World Book Week
- 3rd Making bread for Citizenship at St Francis’
- 25th St Edward's Art Week 2022
- 24th St Edward's Rocks Out!
- 21st St Antony’s Building Bridges with Communities in Newham
- 17th St Joachim's School Council Visit the Refugee and Migrant Project. (RAMP)
- 31st St Joachim’s Classic Poetry Project 2022
- 27th Holocaust Memorial Day 2022
- 18th Architecture in Schools at St Francis’ – Working in Our Community
- 21st 30th Anniversary of the Jolly Christmas Postman
- 16th St Antony's- Dot Dot Fire Financial Literacy
- 14th Supporting Parish Communities
- 24th St Antony’s children and staff are recognised as London Living Wage employers
- 18th Armistice Day 2021
- 27th Trustees & Senior Leaders Meeting across the Trust
- 13th Teachers working together across the Trust
- 13th Celebrating the schools in Our Lady of Grace Catholic Academy Trust
- 27th St Edward's Happy Days Video
- 25th St Antony's- Another Round of Applause
- 24th St Antony's -You Called We Came
- 21st St Helen's Happy Days Video